Skip to main content

Full text of "2016 Emails Between Wilshire Center BID And The City Of LA or Tara Devine"

See other formats

Subject:  Top  1 0 Great  Streets  Moments  of  201 6
From:  LA  Great  Streets
Date:  12/22/2016  09:15  AM

Top  10  Great  Streets  Moments

of  2016

As  2016  comes  to  a close,  we  take  a look  back  at  some  our  most  exciting  moments
throughout  the  year.  We  couldn’t  have  done  this  work  without  our  many  partners  in  the
community  and  in  government.  Special  thanks  to  our  leaders  and  their  teams  at  LADOT,
DCA,  DCP,  BSS,  BOE,  and  EWDD  for  rocking  our  world  in  2016  with  your  Greatness,  we
appreciate  you!

f Share  ¥ Tweet  H Forward

10.  Great  Streets  Takes  Home  New  Urban  Film  Fest  Win  - In  October  Great
Streets  took  home  the  award  for  best  urban  design  film  from  the  New  Urbanism  Film  Fest.
But  the  real  winners  were  our  Great  Streets  Challenge  partners  who  showed  Angelenos
how  you  can  transform  a street  into  public  space  with  passion,  hard  work,  spray  chalk,
and  planters!

9.  LADOT  Finishes  Cesar  Chavez  Ave  Safety  Improvements  - In  early  2016,  LADOT
wrapped  up  its  installation  of  26  painted  curb  extensions  along  Cesar  Chavez  Avenue  in
Boyle  Heights.  The  safety  treatment  shortens  crossing  distance  for  those  traveling  on
foot,  and  prompts  people  driving  to  take  slower,  safer  turns.

8.  Crenshaw  Blvd  Receives  $2  Million  Grant  for  Safety  Upgrades  - On  February  20,
Crenshaw  Street  Beats  turned  the  intersection  of  Crenshaw  Bl  and  Florence  Ave  into  an
instrument  of  community  change.  That  day  Councilmember  Marqueece  Harris-Dawson
and  Deputy  Mayor  Barbara  Romero  announced  a huge  win  for  the  Hyde  Park
neighborhood:  $2  million  in  pedestrian  safety  upgrades  to  be  funded  by  a federal  grant.

7.  Mayor  Garcetti  Launches  Second  Round  of  Great  Streets  Challenge  - In

September  Mayor  Eric  Garcetti  re-launched  the  Great  Streets  Challenge  - raising  the
City’s  investment  to  $2  million  and  opening  it  up  to  any  street  in  Los  Angeles.  As  of  the
close  of  2016,  37  applications  were  received.  Seven  winners  will  be  announced  in  early
2017.

6.  Hollywood  “Scramble”  Reaches  One-Year  Mark  with  Sterling  Results  - This
November  marked  the  first  anniversary  of  the  new  scramble  intersection  at  the
intersection  of  Hollywood  Bl  and  Highland  Ave.  In  the  twelve  months  hence,  no  people
walking  or  biking  have  been  injured  at  the  intersection.

5.  Western  Ave  Gains  Art  and  Safety  Makeover  - Great  Streets  helped  merge  culture
and  safety  into  a comprehensive  suite  of  improvements  for  Western  Ave  in  June.  With
partners  Councilmember  David  Ryu,  Beautify  Earth,  and  LADOT,  we  brought  seven  new
murals,  painted  17  high-visibility  crosswalks  and  conducted  a community  clean-up.  Stay
tuned  for  more  great  things  coming  to  Western  Ave  in  early  2017.

4.  Mayor  Garcetti  Announces  Arts  Activation  Fund  - Great  Streets  hit  the  ground
running  in  January  by  launching  the  Arts  Activation  Fund  with  the  Department  of  Cultural
Affairs.  In  2016  the  AAF  funded  art  and  cultural  programs  in  public  spaces  throughout  Los

Angeles.  Nine  projects  brought  art  walks,  educational  programs,  and  concerts  to  the  first
15  Great  Streets  Corridors.  Click  here  to  apply  for  up  to  $15,000  for  art  on  your  Great
Street.

3.  Mayor  Garcetti  Launches  Great  Streets  Great  Business  - Local  businesses  are  the
backbone  of  every  Great  Streets’s  economy.  So  we  developed  a program  that  serves
businesses  where  they’re  at.  With  our  partner,  Valley  Economic  Development  Center,
we’re  conducting  door-to-door  outreach  and  technical  assistance  along  the  first  15
corridors,  and  providing  access  to  small  business  loans  to  help  local  entrepreneurs  invest
in  and  expand  their  operations.

2.  Mayor  Garcetti  Unveils  Van  Nuys  Blvd  Safety  Improvements  - In  December,  the
Mayor  joined  community  leaders  to  celebrate  the  completion  of  a $1  million  safety
overhaul  for  Van  Nuys  Blvd  in  Pacoima.  a corridor  which  sees  a disproportionate  number
of  traffic  injuries.  Said  Mayor  Garcetti:  “Van  Nuys  Boulevard  is  the  cultural  and
commercial  heart  of  the  Northeast  Valley,  and  we’re  going  to  keep  it  thriving  — by  making
sure  it  is  safe  and  accessible  to  everyone  who  comes  to  enjoy  what  it  has  to  offer.”

1 . Great  Streets  Challenge  Transforms  Public  Spaces  - The  first  round  of  the  Great
Streets  Challenge  culminated  in  early  2016  with  eight  projects  that  brought  new  visions
for  how  our  streets  can  become  lively  public  spaces.  The  program  was  such  a hit,  we  re-
launched it  again  in  September.  Stay  tuned  for  an  announcement  of  the  next  batch  of
projects  in  early  2017!

Honorable  Mentions

Fresh  Sidewalks  Come  to  First  15  Corridors  - In  partnership  with  the  Bureau  of  Street
Services,  Great  Streets  reconstructed  61 ,000  square  feet  of  concrete  sidewalk  in  2016.
Taking  care  of  “back-to-basics”  on  the  path  to  Greatness!

“Iconathon”  Gives  Great  Streets  a Visual  Language  - In  partnership  with  the  Noun
Project,  Great  streets  hosted  an  Iconathon  in  April  2016  with  graphic  artists  and
community  partners  to  develop  visual  representations  of  the  concepts  we  work  with.  The
result?  Twenty-four  icons  that  visualize  everything  from  parklets  to  shopping  local.  Visit

the  LA  Great  Streets  Noun  Project  page  to  download  free.

Sherman  Way  Gets  30  New  Trees  - Thanks  to  an  investment  from  Councilmember  Bob
Blumenfield  and  City  Plants,  Sherman  Way  sports  30  new  trees  that  will  add  beauty  and
comfort  for  decades  to  come.

Lankershim  Blvd  Tries  on  New  Street  Ideas  - In  partnership  with  Councilmember  Paul
Krekorian,  Great  Streets  gave  NoHo  residents  and  visitors  a chance  to  experience
enhanced  public  spaces  and  protected  bike  lanes  on  Lankershim  Blvd.

Pedestrians  Find  Their  Way  on  Central  Ave  - Thanks  to  Los  Angeles  Walks,  the
National  Health  Foundation,  and  students  from  Jefferson  High  School,  “Walk  This
Way/Caminale”  brought  artistic  neighborhood  signage  to  Central  Ave  that  helps  residents
and  visitors  learn  about  local  destinations  and  access  them  on  two  feet.

Subscribe  to  Street  Talk

L 4

Website  Email  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Tumblr

This  email  was  sent  to  mike@wilshirecenter.com
why  did  I get  this?  unsubscribe  from  this  list  update  subscription  preferences
Los  Angeles  Great  Streets  Initiative,  Office  of  Mayor  Eric  Garcetti  ■ 200  N Spring  St.  ■ Los  Angeles,  CA  90012  ■ USA